by Coach Debbie
BCAAs are life! Okay, okay, that's a bit dramatic. But they seriously are amazing, with countless benefits and you NEED them on the regular!
So here it is, everything you need to know about Branched Chain Amino Acids!
What in the world they are.
How they are your brand new assistant in life.
Why you should even give a care about them.
WHAT ARE BCAAs?
Branched Chain Amino Acids are the building blocks of protein and contain 3 of the essential amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, and valine).
- Improves lean muscle
- Boosts fat loss
- Suppresses hunger
- Triggers fat-burning
- Stimulates workout performance
- Energizes naturally
- Enhances mental sharpness
To be most effective they need to have a 3:1:1 ratio (of leucine, isoleucine, and valine).
WHY do I need BCAAs?
- They lower stress levels.Cortisol is an important stress hormone that is responsible for increasing blood sugar and aiding in protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism – we need it in proper doses. The problem is most of us produce way too much. When we release cortisol along with low levels of HGH (like when you don’t get enough sleep) or high levels of insulin cortisol causes muscle burning and fat storing (not good!). BCAAs lower cortisol and therefore help suppress cravings and hunger instigated by stress.
- They help regulate hunger.In addition to balancing blood sugar, the BCAA leucine activates hunger controlling molecules in the brain, which prevents overeating.
- They balance our brains. BCAAs are precursors to our brain’s stimulating chemical glutamate, as well as the number one relaxation neurotransmitter (GABA). By balancing these stimulating and relaxing responses in the brain, we can stop cravings before they even start.
- BCAAs improve protein synthesis. BCAAs support muscle growth (yay) during exercise AND help us maintain lean muscle during periods of rest and recovery. This revs the metabolism into fat-burning mode.
- BCAAs upgrade workouts and cardiovascular health. Expect stronger, more powerful workouts, plus faster recovery with less muscle soreness and post-workout fatigue. Muscles function more efficiently, and since muscle fibers are protected, lean muscle results. The body begins losing muscle mass around age 35, which negatively affects our metabolism. BCAAs fight that breakdown so we maintain muscle as we age.
- BCAAs energize. Directly absorbed into your bloodstream like an IV drip, BCAAs block “tired” hormones to enhance focus and productivity.
When do I take BCAAs?
Anytime! BCAA’s can be a stimulant-free coffee replacement. Before/during/after a workout will enhance workout performance and endurance; after a workout you will assist recovery and reduce post-workout soreness. When the afternoon slump hits, BCAAs skyrocket energy and focus, so you get stuff done. When cravings strike, BCAAs help minimize junk food temptations. Adding BCAA powder to water throughout the day helps your water intake for optimal hydration.
How much should I take and in what form?
It’s recommended to take 5 grams per 50 pounds of body weight per day. If you are extremely active then adding another 5 grams can be beneficial. If you weigh 150 pounds, that means you’d enjoy 3 scoops daily. Mix 1 scoop per 24 ounces of water, 3 times every day.
- Will Momsanity BCAAs go "bad" if I mix them up in advance?
Nope. You may need to remix as they can settle, but they will not go bad.
- What if I am pregnant/breastfeeding?
This is one to discuss with your doctor, but many pregnant and breastfeeding women have used our BCAAs and find that they help with both energy and hydration. Because there are no artificial ingredients and BCAAs are ESSENTIAL amino acids, many women find them a great choice.
- Can I give them to my kids?
Talk to your pediatrician. Your Momsanity coaches prefer giving our kids BCAAs over juices and sports drinks. Lessen the serving size for children under 18.
- Can men use BCAAs?
Absolutely! They can and they should (our husbands do)! Men benefit greatly from using BCAA powder regularly.
- Do BCAAs affect sleep?
Some women report that they have trouble sleeping if sipping BCAAs close to bed time. Others find no negative effect. Remember that ours contain zero stimulants (like caffeine).
Momsanity BCAA’s are free from artificial flavors, artificial colors, stimulants, artificial sweeteners, and preservatives.
A quick and helpful recap of BCAAs:
B – Boost energy
C – Crush cravings
A – Aid fat loss
A – Assist workouts
Choose from Fruit Punch, Raspberry Lemonade, Orange Crush, and Cherry Lime!