by Coach Debbie
Do you know the shortcut to a lean, toned, tight body? The fast-forward button is found in lifting weights! And not the pink 3-pound kind. If you want to get in the best shape of your life, it’s time to go for the heavy metal and lift weights that challenge you!
Don’t worry, you won’t turn into a big beastly hulk (because you’re not a man).
Do you know what size dumbbells you should use in your workouts? We don’t want to waste our time, and we don’t want to get injured either!
There is a formula for picking the right sized weights for YOU! Each woman is different, and you will notice that you become stronger and will need heavier weights over time. Lifting weights is efficient, effective, and empowering!
When picking up a pair of weights (in a store or a gym), here is the test:
- You want to be able to (initially) perform 10 repetitions, but not 11 repetitions. If you try to do squats with weights and can only do 3 squats, you need lighter weights. And if you start a workout and could easily do 18 squats, you need heavier weights.
- As the workout progresses, you will not be able to do those 10 reps, so you’ll rest more and more. Resting is a sign that you’re doing the workout properly.
- Keep in mind that the lower body is stronger than the upper body. Doing front raises with your arms will require a lighter weight than doing deadlifts, for example.
- Consider using a variety of weights within a workout, so you can have what you need and adjust quickly. The goal is to feel breathless and hot, and for your muscles to be burning.
- Remember, you must have perfect form each time you do every move! Safety first!
- You are stronger than you realize, so see if you can go heavier than you think.
Don’t worry, your Momsanity Coaches always guide you in weight-lifting form in our full-length Sisterhood workout videos! We’ll teach you perfect form as you get stronger in less time!